Grocery Store Lighting
The right lighting in a grocery store can increase sales by 27%. Product lighting requirements are as varied as the food categories themselves. AVA TECH offers a unique approach to the development of lighting in grocery stores and supermarkets, based on innovative developments of the company.
The AVA TECH team develops unique lighting solutions for all areas of grocery stores, combining them into a single scenario:
- Fresh zones (baked goods, vegetables, and fruits, fish, meat, cheeses);
- zones of promotional goods;
- general lighting of rows and shelves;
- checkout areas;
- street and parking areas.
Typical lighting levels for supermarket groceries range from 750 to 1000 lux. Such brightness produces an invigorating effect on the buyer, activates attention, and motivates them to purchase additional goods.
It is important to organize well bright general lighting, but that’s not all – an individual approach is used for each type of product. AVA TECH offers specially selected lighting spectra to enhance the presentation of the respective product groups:
- The bakery department needs warm white light. This lighting gives baked goods the most advantageous warm golden hue;
- In the fish department, cold lighting with a color temperature of 5000 K -6500 K is ideal. Such lighting will give the customer a feeling of cleanliness and freshness;
- The meat department suggests a special approach in the choice of lighting: both cold and warm lighting in their pure form will not work. The most successful option is lamps with a shifted color spectrum towards red, in which the meat looks fresher;
- For the lighting of fruits and vegetables, accent or spotlights with a color temperature of 2700 K -3500 K and a high degree of color rendering are perfect and will help to reveal the natural colors of these products.
managers will contact you!
Lighting for grocery stores
The effectiveness of each job depends on its planning. Shop lighting influences the level of sales success. Drawing up a plan for professional lighting for stores from AVA TEK company will help you achieve the desired result, calculate the timing, and save your budget.
How to correctly develop a store lighting project
A store lighting project includes the development for individual segments of the premises:
- sales area;
- fitting rooms;
- ancillary areas.
The general atmosphere in the store depends on the correct lighting of the sales area with accent lighting structures for the display cases with the goods. The good mood of the buyer is stimulated by bright light, aesthetic appearance. Decorative lamps and luminaires are often used in lighting for boutique shops.
The success of a project depends on the right goals. The task of the contractor is to discuss in detail all the points so that the customer gets what he wants:
- comfortable general lighting;
- correctly set light accents;
- adherence to the store concept, emphasized by design solutions;
- zoning hall with the help of light.
Incompetent designers make inaccuracies in the calculation and design of lighting, therefore errors occur:
- uneven lighting;
- discomfort from high brightness of lamps;
- glare when the trajectory of light is wrong;
- wrong placement of accents;
- lack of a general concept of the project.
Be careful when choosing a contractor.
How to choose lamps for lighting in a store
Creating a lighting project is a huge team effort. First, designers select lamps and lights, depending on the characteristics and purpose of the object, they also determine their location. Then the designers agree with the suppliers on the calculations of the brightness of the light, and arrange the lamps to their places.
For lighting, choose luminaires with the maximum service life and high luminous efficiency.
Indicators of lamps that are worth paying attention to:
- emission spectrum;
- color rendering index;
- the ripple factor of the light;
- indicator of glare and discomfort.
Switches are often installed to control the light from multiple points.
Particularities of section lighting in a grocery store
Properly designed lighting in a grocery store increases sales through a good presentation.
Basic principles of high-quality lighting:
- uniform level of general light 500-1000 lx.;
- color rendering of lamps in the hall above Ra80;
- the accent of illumination of products is 40% higher than general light;
- cold or warm lighting depends on the type of product
The lighting in a grocery store depends on the product in the department. White light is selected for bakery products, neutral colors for trays with fruits and vegetables, lamps for lighting meat showcases are chosen in cold colors.
What to look for when choosing the lighting for grocery stores?
First of all, it is necessary to create a lighting design that does not contradict the concept of the store and creates a sense of comfort and coziness for visitors. It is important, that the lighting temperature suits the concept, the level of illumination should help the visitors to easily navigate themselves in the areas of the store, the brightness level of light sources should not exceed UGR <19. Secondly, focus on product presentation. Correctly selected light enhances color rendering and color saturation.
What lighting fixtures to choose for lighting grocery stores?
For different formats, stores will suit different combinations of lighting fixtures. For stores with an area of 300 m2 or more are suitable either main or linear lamps and accent lamps (track or pendant), and matrices with special lighting should be used for accent lamps to illuminate Fresh zones. Smaller stores and format stores at home more often use only track lighting, because depending on the opening angle and spectrum, such lamps can create both general and accent lighting on the product. Another option is to use modular Fast Line systems from AVA TECH with which you can combine various options as general and accent lighting.
What kind of lighting to choose for the Fresh zone?
In lighting the area of bakery products, the most suitable temperature is 2700-3000K and diffused light with a color rendition of CRI 90. For bread without packaging, you can use the Bakery series with a special spectrum and a temperature of about 2400K. In the fish department, we recommend using cold white light 4000–6500K depending on the type of fish and the color of its meat. For the meat department, we use special LED modules that reveal the color rendition of red shades and emphasize the freshness of meat products. The color temperature will depend on the meat yield and will be in the range of 2200-4000K. In the area of vegetables and fruits, we often use warm white light with a high degree of color rendition. Color temperature 2700-3000K, diffused light and illumination 800-1200 Lux (30-50% higher than average illumination for the store).
What lighting options should you choose for lighting grocery stores?
Typical lighting levels for grocery supermarkets range from 750 to 1000 lux. The color rendering level for grocery stores can be at least Ra ≥80 for general lighting and Ra ≥90 for accent lighting and Fresh areas. The brightness level of light sources should not exceed UGR <19. As for the temperature of the light, its value can strongly depend on the concept of the store and the area we are lighting.